Now that I have made my decision as to which structure I am going to implement for my thesis (due now in exactly a month), it seems to be getting easier for me to edit objectively.
Previously, I had found it difficult to delete, or move on from any section of my writing until I felt that I had addressed all (or at least most of) the points that I wanted to make in that section, and until it flowed exactly the way I had intended. Yet I am now starting to feel like it is less of a challenge to determine what content should remain in my thesis and what can be left out, in order to showcase my research qualities as best as possible.
While I still have a lot of piecing together to do in order to make every section flow sensibly (but also creatively) into the next, I can see how the development of my arguments has been clarified from the process of removing many of the superfluous passages I was holding onto in case they might prove significant later.
The other thing I am learning about research this week (having submitted a draft last Friday) is that it is amazing what you can achieve when a deadline draws near. While you obviously have to be careful not to leave things to the last minute, the work ethic that surfaces when you know you are up against the clock and have lots of work to do is truly something to marvel over.
For this reason, I have set myself a little goal with the intention of staying on task and working methodically and diligently on a daily basis: and that is to have a version of my thesis prepared by the 1st of October that reads coherently from start to finish and delivers my research and conclusions in an orderly and contextualised manner. I am not fussed if it requires 18000 or 20000 words to achieve this, because I know that the editing process will be made even easier yet again once I reach the point that I can actually look over my entire thesis and think to myself: “this tells readers what I want them to know”.